Saturday, November 05, 2005

MY DRUG OF CHOICE HAS ARRIVED!

-
Yes fervent fans, my preferred drug of relaxation (a.k.a. - "SKIP") has been blowing through my speaker since yesterday morning. Like a junkie who has been off the "Stuff" for awhile, I was hesitant.....would this last? or was it just 15 minutes of morning DX? I know, there some of you out there who hate skip, but most likely you're in an area where there are a lot of local contacts. In my area, there is some early morning QSO's but it's usually dead at night......except for the ever pesky Mexican trucker passing through, while screaming into his microphone (on AM naturally).
-
This morning, it's not quite a strong (yet) as yesterday - it kinda blows in and out like the wind through my open window. And, it's jumping all over the place too. Of course, if you go one channel UP or DOWN, it's dead - go figure! It's like "SKIP" is a Greek god-child and when the dx comes in , he picks up a magnifying glass as many children have done, and focuses his beam on one point (in this case channel 38).
-
[70, Eastern Ohio - sounding good buddy]
-
Of course, we know that's not true, but you have to wonder why it's so busy on 38 and so dead on 36,37,39, &40. I think we (as the FCC is only interested in selling airspace and collecting fines) should make channel 38 the official "call channel" , and once you connect, move up or down, have a nice conversation and when it's through go back to 38 to pick up another. It sure beats the "pile-up-from-hell".
-
[Woa! nice bass on Kangaroo 2850's audio in Rhode Island]
-
One of things that bothers me while "copying the mail" is when everyone is "ON" frequency, but there's one fellow out there too low or too high that really takes the enjoyment out of it. If the impotent FCC could do just one thing, they'd make it legal for having an un-locked clarifier...Oops! But that makes too much sense. While I'm on the topic of clarifier's and frequency, it reminds me of the frequency police (self-appointed), who spend more time saying "Your OFF frequency", than actual talking. A funny thing happened to me the other morning while driving to work; I had been listening to a couple fellows talking for about 20 minutes when I had a comment to insert and one of them said "What was that??", the other said "Someone off frequency", then the other guy replied "GET ON FREQUENCY IF YOU WANT TO TALK". Here's the funny part - my Grant LT does not have the clarifier un-locked, however it's set dead-on frequency. I'd forgotten that when I first heard these guys that I had to tune them in, so THEY were the ones off frequency.....(okay, it seemed funny at the time. )
-
[Think I hear "Danny", Kangaroo number one, faintly in the background hash]
-
Okay, you've wasted enough time reading this when you too could have bee enjoying some dx, so -
-
'Nuff Said

No comments:

Post a Comment