Sunday, November 13, 2005

NIB
(a.k.a. - New-In-Box)
-
Ya know, when I'm perusing EBAY or a Forsale website and see an ad for a NIB rig, I take the time to check it out, if somewhat interested. Sometimes it really is new-in-the-box, but a growing trend seems to be (for example) "COBRA 148 NIB" as a description to sucker you into looking at the ad, and then you find out it has any or all of the below:
  • Extra channels
  • Opened Clarifier
  • Clipped Modulation Limiter (the worst thing you can do to a rig)
  • Echo (2nd worse)
  • Talkback
  • Variable power
  • ETC....

-Or, they list it as (for example) "Cobra 148 NIB, peaked'n tweaked, and modified"

So I had to ask myself, "What does NIB mean anymore?"

-

If I saw an ad in Best Buy for a DVD player, I'd expect new, but I'd be pretty pissed if I got there and they said "Oh, we modified this-and-that for you". But they don't, because once the box is opened, it's an open box sale.

-

Now we all know that opinions vary from person to person, so THIS is MY opinion. ...."NIB" means just that - NEW IN BOX. When I buy a NIB radio I expect to be the first one to open it! If someone wants to take a NIB radio out of the box and modify it, fine, but call it something else like "New radio modified". -

-

'Nuff Said,

Woody

-

Oops!! I almost forgot another candidate for Ebay descriptions! This one is "Appears to be in decent condition"