Thursday, June 04, 2009

"THOSE GREEN DAY SHUDDERS...."
=
Yep, I had a teenager growing up when Green Day first hit the charts, and I remember very clearly biting on my lip as he listened to their first album. This would soon be followed by him practicing certain songs on his guitar (and, amplifier). My first instincts were of a very short demise (for Green Day, not my Son), and in another 5 years people would be saying "Green-Who??"





So imagine my surprise: Yes Green Day has outlasted even my 5 year predictions and has just churned out a new album called "21st Century Breakdown". Even more to my surprise, I bought it - and like it very much. GD has come a long way from those early days and I have to tip my Boston Red Sox hat to them (Nope, the ex didn't get that).






This one brings back those days of "Concept" albums that seemed to go out of fashion faster than you can say "23channels". If you're an I-Tunes fan, or Amazon (give some of the tunes a test listen to see if you like it). Hint: I think you can download the entire CD for $6.99 or $7.99 but why do that when you can buy it from Amazon for $9.99?? (ed. - yeah, a shameless plug for Amazon).

For a RAW sounding song that rocks, I like "Horse Shoes and Hand Grenades"








This release reminds me of what Queen's concept albums might have sounded like today and is certainly better than anything Milk Maiden can do....




73
Woody