Sunday, August 09, 2009

JOAN RIVERS
-
GREEN DAY
-
AND
-
PETTINESS


As with most things, let's get the ugly stuff over with and then have some fun! First - I got an email from a friend of mine this morning. As with most of my friends, I'd emailed them all last year to keep a look out on Ebay for my radio collection items coming up for auction. I wrote: "Now is a good chance to pick up something you always wanted, or admired" from the many items I had previous control over".

Well, it seems like anyone who "knows" me (even remotely) is being black listed by the ex. Up until just recently, they would win an item or two, and then the x-xyl would block them for bidding in the future. I'd get an email asking "what's up with that?" and suggest that they contact the McCarthyism seller themselves as I was out of the loop (I thought the idea was to sell the stuff?). This mornings email came from my longest going radio 'bud (although he has taken a LONG leave of absence) who wrote that he won a couple items and then got blocked for whatever else he had bid on (so far, par for the course). They paid promptly via PayPal for what he did get, and then later found out that rather than the seller shipping the items, the person sent the money back, without explanation!

While I'm a spectator on the sidelines, I can't help but wonder how in the world this is legal under Ebay rules? After all, if a bidder wins, and doesn't pay they get slammed, so what about the seller? It seems to me that the bidder would have a very good claim against the seller with some kind of penalty applied, whether it be a 30-day suspension, or one of those dreaded "Red Marks" against the person selling the goods. I must know at LEAST a hundred radio and non-radio friends with Ebay accounts.....are they all subject to this hilarious (yet sad) embargo?

If it were me, I would raise holy hell until the items I legitimately won were sent to me - or - file a complaint with Ebay. But that's me, and I can't speak for others. Sometimes you have to wonder what goes on with such petty sellers....

NOW ONTO THE GOOD STUFF!!!


Robin has to be the luckiest women on the face of the earth. She is always winning contests, and it even goes farther than that. For example, she was coming out of a store the other day and there on the ground was a crisp five dollar bill. She looked around and saw no one in sight thus becoming five dollars richer! But it goes even farther than that - this past Thursday she received a call at work from a radio station saying that she won two tickets to go see Joan Rivers at the Hobby center Friday night. To make it even sweeter, the package included a LIMO. It was something that we just couldn't pass up.

HERE WE ARE STANDING NEXT TO THE LIMO



This was my first time in a limo and it was everything I had heard they were! Traffic really sucks, and it's nice to kick back, not worry, watch a DVD, listen to a CD or stereo, and just enjoy those cushy seats. The warm up act for Joan was very good, and Joan herself was rapid fire joking as usual, running from one side of the stage to the other, and it was just amazing to see a 76 year-old woman with such energy! Leaving the show was GREAT - no parking garage. No cattle lines of people fighting their way down the stairs, and no sitting in traffic trying to get out of a garage - WE-HAD-A- LIMO.



GREEN DAY

Robin bought two tickets for us to go see Green Day. She liked, and knew that I liked their latest album "21st Century Breakdown". The concert met our criteria: INDOORS (I never could figure out why people want to sit outside and sweat, be bitten by bugs, and possibly rained on, just to see a group like "Milk Maiden"). The concert was at the Toyota Center (my first trip) and it reminded me of the old "Summit" as far as the layout. We went late (skipping the opening act) getting there in perfect time for Green Day's set.



A VIEW FROM OUR SEATS

Most of the songs were from this new album and we and the crowd loved it. I've seen a variety of live bands in the past, but these guys really know how to work the crowd, and make them feel part of the whole experience. The sound quality was great, and the bass was cranked up so much my stomach now resides on my back, looking much like a goiter. No limo this time, but parking was plentiful. I'll have to admit I wasn't feeling that great earlier in the day, but I'm sure glad I got to go, and of course, share the experience of it all with Robin.

WHEN THOSE FLAMES WENT UP, EVEN AS FAR AWAY AS WE WERE, WE COULD FEEL THE HEAT

So, there ya have it (although I think I'm leaving something out) and I hope, if you know me, that you don't get blacklisted by the person selling my collection -

73

WOODY