Saturday, August 03, 2013

OBITUARIES



BRIEFLY SPEAKING...







Yep, this will be a brief Blog post, but there aren't any rules that say that posts have to have a certain number of words before you can publish them.

What prompted me to write this one, is about something I saw on my customized Yahoo home page. I have a variety of news items selected so I can catch up with things each morning.

One of my selections is the ARRL feed which adds new content as it occurs. This week seemed to be a particularly downer week as it looked more like the obituaries then usual. Each morning it I would find another SK (silent key) listed. Older hams seem to be dropping like flies.

As far as CBer's go, there isn't an organization like the ARRL for them, so usually you find out who died via a CB radio based chat board, or word of mouth. Nonetheless it is depressing either way. As far as the ARRL feed is concerned, whatever they post is a drop in the bucket compared to SK's that are in the ARRL publication "QST". I hope both services are recruiting enough newbies to replace those that have gone onto the other side of that long wave -

'Nuff Said,
Brian