Monday, September 26, 2005

RITA
PART TWO
FRIDAY NIGHT-MONDAY
Fortunately for us, but not others, Rita took a wobble to the East and except for some strong winds Fri-Sat-Sun, we received little to no rain. I was confident enough by 10p.m. Friday night to hit the sack! The XYL wasn't so happy about that but I told her that "I was sure that the sound of crunching wood and her anguished screams would be enough to wake me up...."
I've since then learned to enjoy sleeping on the couch..
Saturday morning -
Once again, a long line of cars waiting for gas.
I've heard from a few folks who mentioned that Sealy wasn't that friendly, noting signs up on the GAS signs visible to freeway travellers that said "No Gas, No Food", but once the deluge of people got out of here by Saturday night, the place was a mess. My Son's girlfriend, who works at Walmart said that people just used the sidewalk as a rest room, complete with something that worked as toilet paper and left it for the staff to clean up when Walmart opened later that day. There were other examples but that one will do. I managed to get gas on Sunday afternoon so I felt more comfortable about driving into work on Monday to power the servers, etc. back on.
In summary: it wasn't the best of times, and not the worst of times (physically), it was only perceived to be the worst of times, thanks to 3 weeks of Katrina coverage, no gasoline, long-stagnant lines of traffic, etc.
TALLY
Pwr loss in Sealy=Zero, my brother in the Northwest part of Houston lost pwr for about 12 hours, and my dad lost his for about 10 hours (North houston) + my son wants to keep an SSB station at his place now!
'Nuff
Said
Woody