Wednesday, November 15, 2006

"THE OTHER WHITE MEAT"
-
-
Yes, it's been awhile since I've posted a Ham only column, and it didn't occur to me until just this afternoon while I was listening to what I think was a Collins "Net" on 40meters, at the same time I was on EBAY posting some HAM gear for auction, that I realized I was overdue for something to do with HAM Radio....
-
"THE ROCK OF GIBRALTOR"
-
If you frequent a repeater, then you'll probably know I'm correct in saying that every repeater has it's "Rock of Gibraltor", someone who keeps things moving, is on-the-air almost 24hours a day (even when running HF), and a person that most users respect, for one reason or the other.
-
So here's my story: Once upone a time there was a local repeater that was known for it's conversations relating to various HF contests, helping other operators learn what they needed to learn to get a WAS, or WAC award. The "Rock", or in this case the anchor for the repeater was up at the crack of dawn, had a dry sense of humor, and a "Crisp, no nonsense" way with words. To the average listener (me) it seemed like everyone wanted to talk with this respected HAM radio operator. [I called this repeater frequency "The Contest Geek Channel" - not to make fun of it, but it best described what you'd hear so it was easier for me to remember.]
-
The operator has a morning routine:
  • Coffee
  • Greetings to other Ham's jumping into conversations while on their way to work.
  • A report of what HF bands were open last night, and currently, and where they were open to.
  • But best of all, he had a "weather rock".

The weather rock was nothing unusual, remained outside, but within view of his Shack window. Almost 75% of the fellows joining the group would ask him what the weather was going to be that day. He'd look out at the rock and (for example) see that it was wet and declare "The weather rock says rain". It was great fun, and everyone enjoyed his help, his "Open Band" alerts, and of course - his weather rock.

-

Much of the conversations were very dry and technical, with Harry jumping in occasionally letting people know what band was open and to where it was open to. He had a great memory, so many times it would go something like this - "Hey George, I know your missing Japan in your worked-all-countries and I was just up on 15meters and it's open to Japan". It was through this manner where I worked my first South African station while I was driving into work one morning.

-

"Hey guys", said Harry,"There's a South African station on ten meters around 27.480, if anyone wants to work him."

-

I was either using my old butt-ugly Icom 725 or, a Uniden 2510, but in any case, I heard the report, started turning the dial and there was the station! Fortunetely I was right near an exit off the freeway and so exit I did, and pulled into a parking lot. He was fading and my wattage was limited but I did indeed make the contact, if only for about a minute. But, I never would have known about it at all if it wasn't for Harry.

-

Years went by and I could pop on that repeater and it was like the contesting talk had never ended from my previous visit. It was good to know that at least some things don't change that much - until someone dies..... Yes, Harry the "Weather Rock" forecaster had passed away one night and not only was his passing sad, but the slow death of the repeater that followed, was terrible as well. At first there were nostalgic stories about him, and his weather rock, and some jokes about how maybe someone should borrow the rock to keep the tradition going, but you could tell: week-by-week, month-by-month, the heart of the repeater was gone. It's been several years since Harry passed away, and I stop by that frequency now and again but instead of constant QSO's, there's nothing left, like a planet who lost it's atmosphere and was now a wasteland of hash and squelch. It just goes to show, how one person can be the glue that holds the whole club or repeater community together, and if you have your own version of the "Rock of Gibraltor, then take a few minutes to thank he or she, for their contribution to Amateur Radio...

[The names in this story were changed, but as Zepplin sang: "The song remains the same"]

-

"FROM THE FAVORITE MFG. DEPT."

-

There are many poll's conducted with titles like "What's your favorite rig to own and operate?" which got me to thinking about one step further, who was my favorite Manufacturer. I've owned several ICOM's in the last 20 years, like the IC-211, 202, 505, 251, 271, 271H, 471, 275H, 207, 208, 7800, 703, 725, 751a and all 3 flavors of 706, but I'ved always come back to Yaesu (Although, the 751A remains one of the best HF rigs I've owned).

-

I can't tell you how many FT-101's I'ved owned, but you can be sure it's over half a dozen, but I've enjoyed others like: FT-301, 901, 902, 890, 209, 290r, 100 (non-D), 757I and II, FTDX-560, 400, the 101 "twins", Ft-50r, 60r, Vx-5r, 650 (sweet!!), 225RD, 726, 530r, 897, 897D, and the 817ND. So for me I'd have to rate 'em: 1. Yaesu 2. ICOM and 3. Kenwood a distant 3rd. Out of all of the Yaesu's I think the 101E, 902DM, 757, 650, and 897D were/are my favorite HF rigs, yet I've used an ICOM 207 Dualbander for about 5 or 6 years now. And the FT-530r has to be my all time favorite HT: Not quite the big tank the 209 was, yes not as small and lightweight as a VX-5r or FT-60r. I'm covering my bases on these, as sooner or later it will quit and then parts will become an issue, so whenever I see a reasonably-price 530, I'll try and buy it (I have 4 in my FT-530 "war chest" now).

-

What turned me off of ICOM for a period of time, was the lack of parts for some of their earlier stuff, whereas I could and still can have my 101's repaired fairly easy enough. With the newer HF gear, Icom seems to be very reliable but I'm not happy with their noise blanker, while Yaesu seems to be "tricky" with SWR on certains bands....I guess there isn't one around that seems to be issue free. So what about you? What brand you prefer to pick from?

-

Woody

-

No comments:

Post a Comment