Saturday, March 17, 2007

"IT'S THE MIDDLE OF THE MONTH"

-
And do you know what that means?? Nope! Nothing to do with bills, paychecks, or goat sacrificing....it's that time of the month when the modern "Radio Operator" begins to feel anxious, sometimes including panic attacks - it's the time of the month when QST Magazine will arrive in your mailbox!
-
My QST time-clock is adjusted fairly accurately, and quite sub-conscious. It starts around the 12th of the month with an anxious "I-drank-too-much-coffee" feeling and progresses from there. By the 13th, I'm aware of the impending arrival, and begin to wonder: "Hmmm...I wonder if it will come EARLY this month?", so the phone calls to the XYL begin -

-
"Have you checked the mail yet?"
-
"YES, I KNOW it's only 7a.m. but the mail carrier could be early"
-
[CLICK]
-
"Have you check---d....oh, you have? was there anything in the mailbox?"
-
"NOTHING?? I'll call back in 10 minutes"
-


Or, if I'm the one with the first look in the mailbox, I'll walk briskly towards it, slowing as I approach. "Do I really want to check it?" and if I do, "Am I prepared for rejection?".
-
OK. I'm there. The hand is ready. The mailbox is pulled opened enough to slip my hand in without seeing the boxes contents...and "EUREKA" it feels a semi-thick magazine!! Grabbing the contents the hand jerks out in one swift motion, useless bills flutter to the ground [I'm in this for the magazine].
-
In sync with the arm and hand, the eyes slowly drop down to view my prize...."WHAT???"....."It's not QST, it's a damn R-O-S-E CATALOG....Crap"....My head grows heavy, as well as my feet (it seems like such a long way back to the house now), and I know I'll have to repeat this process again.
-
Today, the 17th, was my last chance until Monday, and there it was - my new QST issue! I know, some of you don't like QST, but it's the only REAL radio magazine around (that is full of articles and nice, precious, glossy advertisements that smell so.....fresh. My precious.) So, I'm a happy camper, and I've almost got it to where I parcel out my reading until the following month, but it's tough.
-
It was alot worse before I joined the ARRL. First, I'd have to find a magazine store that even carried it, and then, towards the middle of the month, it was "Stakeout" time. Even before I became a HAM, I read QST - especially after S9/CB Radio Magazine went under. But enough about that. This wasn't a plug for QST (although it may seem to be), but more of a plea for something else to look forward to (nope, no CQ - I'm NOT into contesting).
-

FROM THE "I KEPT MY WORD DEPT."

-
Oh, I'm keeping to my word in not writing about the subject below, however, I didn't mention video...
-

-

Woody

-

No comments:

Post a Comment