Wednesday, February 24, 2010


ANOTHER "SK"....
-
-
We see, and hear of silent keys every month, some months more than others, some call signs register with you more than others. This past Sunday, W5MET became a silent key. Everyone in HAMdom knew him as "Frank". In the old days on 11meters we knew him as "Big Frank".
-
Big Frank lived just north of me in the early 80's when I lived in North Spring, Texas. At that time, he was the only guy I knew who was running a ham rig on 11 meters. I think at that time, I was using the Uniden Grant (pre-XL), or possibly a Hy-Gain V w/VFO (can't remember). What I do remember was Frank's impressive signal and audio, and that he worked for the now closed "Federated Audio/Video". He and another radio friend, who lived just a few miles from Frank (Steve, "The Voice of the Woodlands") were often cronies in various hijinks that occurred on the airwaves.
-
Later, when I existed in Sealy Texas I heard a familiar voice on a local repeater, whose name was Frank and took a stab at a QSO. Yep, it was "Big Frank", and we had a decent conversation that lasted my ride home. We made plans to try and get together on-the-air again, and perhaps at a local hamfest, but that was about 10 years ago, and well, we never did.
-
From what I hear, Frank died of a heart attack, and many of us (11meter/HAM) are just hearing about it. It would have been nice to get another QSO with him, but then, that's what happens when you put things off...
-
73, Woody
-