Tuesday, March 12, 2013

REVIEW:
BAOFENG UV-5R+
[PART ONE]







A crop of unknown brand/Chinese 2-way electronics have been popping up with more frequency. This particular model, the Baofeng UV-5R+ was made specifically for 3 online vendors (Ebay, Amazon, and-i-forgot-the-last-one). I encountered this model on Amazon.com, and it seems to vary in price; either $49, or $54.99. Compare either price to any low end Yaesu, Icom, or Kenwood and you'll find a vast difference in price.

A Fairly complete list of features would be:

Frequency Range: 136-174 / 400-520 MHz


Dual-Band Display, Dual Freq. Display, Dual-Standby

Output Power: 4w/1w

128 Channels

50 CTCSS and 104 DCS

Built-in VOX Function

1750Hz Burst Tone

FM Radio (65.0MHz-108.0MHz)

LED Flashlight

Large LCD Display

High /Low RF Power Switchable

25KHz/12.5KHz Switchable

Channel Step: 2.5/5/6.25/10/12.5/20/25/50 KHz

Dual band, dual display, dual standby

A/B band independent operation

128 groups channels storage

The manual is lacking quite a bit, but I've found some of our more established vendors coming out with a new product and a crappy manual. I read what I could find on the web about it, including my favorite "Go-to" review site - EHAM.NET REVIEWS as well and figured it would be much easier configuring this thing with the software and cable (an extra $10 at the time).

As usual, it arrived packed in an Amazon box in two days, and when I opened up the Baofeng box I found a dualband HT that looked less toy and more Ham-like. It was partiall charged but I popped it into the stand up charger anyways.


FITS INTO MY HAND JUST FINE

Once charged, I compared (receive only) with my VX-6R and found that they were both close, however the UV-5R+ did seem to pick up the local repeater I used in some places I could never get the Yaesu to do.

The software and cable are kinda weird. The software being very basic, and try sticking to the same USB port each time, or you'll have to set aside another one as a COM port. If you've heard that the cable doesn't fit quite right, you're correct. To make a good solid connection while programming the HT it's best to keep one hand firming putting pressure on the cable where it connects to the radio. I hope the external speaker/microphone isn't that bad.

Okay, a taste for now - more later....END PART ONE

'Nuff Said,
Woody