Sunday, August 18, 2013

WiPRY UPDATE





BUY THE ACCESSORY KIT...





Having done a variety of tests with the WiPry I figured out that having the ability of connecting a Directional antenna vs. the omnidirectional antenna nub it ships with could come in handy if you were trying to identify the general location from where a signal source was coming from.

I tried EPO (Electronic Parts Outlet), and they had a short (2") wire with a small connector to fit the WiPry's antenna jack and at the other end, a larger SMA connector, the wrong gender to connect antennas to, and they were out of gender-benders.

Frys was my next stop and their connector/adaptor area was a mess, with no apparent logical scheme on how it should be arranged, forcing you to look at each hook, row, column, and hopefully you could find what you wanted. At this point, I'm down $3 + tax, and gas used to get to EPO and back. I had the wire in my pocket and found several adapters which looked like I could form a stupid-looking, yet functional way to attach the antenna.

At home I realized I missed one key ingredient, making that trip a $10 + tax and gas money flop. Yeah, I know that I could have gone back and returned the adapters and connectors, but one thing I learned from being a CBer, then HAM operator over the years was that it never hurt to have something in your parts drawers that seemed useless then, but down-the-road a necessity.

So I went back to Oscium's website and looked closer at the kit and could see they had 3 connection adapters included. I ordered it, 2 days later received it, and yup, my directional beam antenna was connected and working. I also had several additions to my parts drawers, and it's always fun walking up and down the aisles at EPO to check out what's new.

CONDUCTED MEASUREMENT KIT



ALSO AVAILABLE



iPHONE 5 CONNECTOR ADAPTER



38" EXTENSION CABLE


'Nuff Said,
Woody