Saturday, March 23, 2024

REVIEW UPDATES: PRESIDENT GEORGE II, ETC.

 


 

 REVIEW UPDATES

 

 

 

 

 

I've had to fit reviewing in-between medical visits, getting home warranty items pointed out and making sure they were take care of, along with issues with both cars (not to mention it's that time of year: Tax season]. As well, items planned for review have begun showing up at the front door, like this fella:

 


 While driving 35 miles to my back/spine doctor's appointment during heavy rain and white knuckle driving, I could have used this fellow strapped to the steering wheel (but it was waiting for me in the mailbox when I returned home).

The President George II (non-FCC), at this point, would appear to be a waste of money for someone in the U.S. to order from the UK, especially if they already have the FCC version:

  1. You don't gain a lot of power (enough to get 1/2 and S-unit on SSB)
  2. And unless you just have to have the ability to have the SPAN feature [i.e. the Non-FCC version gives you several different bands of frequencies divided into blocks of 40 channels. The FCC version is strictly one band of 40 channels, so there is no need for a SPAN function.] for more info, download the EU version manual on President's EU website.
  3. There seems to be very little in the form of adjustments, but wait for the full review before making a decision to buy, one way or the other.
  4. You won't have those NOAA weather frequencies with the EU version, which, during many parts of the year in my area of Texas it's very appreciated.

 

While checking the NON-FCC version out, I've also been playing around with Radioddity's QT60. There are several things I like, BUT, it never arrived with the screen looking like it does in the pictures of it (light amber). It's more of a slightly darker orange/red (at least the one I got came this way), and I've noticed that having it left "ON" 24/7 for the last month, the screen has slowly darkened. In the menu section I didn't see a screen brightness control, so I hoped there was one internally. After a quick exchange of emails with Radioddity I was told that there wasn't any manual control for this issue - what you get is what you get.

Any other items of discussion will be readable when the review of that radio is completed.

As for the remote, Blue-Tooth microphone, it's hooked up and ready to go as I type this now, so it's very possible that it's review will jump ahead, in front of the others. After all, when you break it down, it's just a microphone withe Blue-tooth capabilities.

Obviously, this is a great predicament to be in - too many things to review, oh, and I forgot that I still have Radioddity's QT-40 to look at, as it sits neglected underneath the the other radio boxes (I haven't even had time to take a peek of it). 

Anyway, I didn't want you to think I'd dropped of the edge of the world, like last year, only it's a very busy season to try and get everything done at the same time.

 

 73

Woody


 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment