Saturday, April 08, 2006


SHIPPING DAZE
-
As I've mentioned before, you really have to watch those shipping charges on EBay (that's where the seller makes an extra buck or two, or it's the difference between 3 days and 15). I've noticed lately that many auctions have "Standard Shipping" listed, and a price. Usually the price gives the impression that it's UPS or Priority Mail, but as I've found - you really have to ask up front "Just what do you mean by Standard Shipping?"
-
One example: a mobile cb antenna. I "ASSUMED" it would be UPS because of the price.....it wasn't. The seller (who was in the same state as I was) sent it Parcel Post and the end result: I paid a UPS price, which if sent UPS would have reached me in ONE day, but got Parcel Post, which took 15 days to arrive. He made $6 on just the shipping!
-
Example No.2 - Bought a radio, which had "Standard Shipping" listed, and I wrote the guy and asked what he meant by Standard Shipping. He then came back with a selection to pick from, and I picked US Postal Priority - Why? because it was only six cents more than Parcel Post!! I got my item in 2 days, but if I hadn't asked, who knows how long it would have taken. ASK QUESTIONS when you're thinking of buying something. If they don't answer - don't buy.
-
ICOM IC-706 FAMILY
REVIEW "UPDATE"
-
Okay, I've tried all 3 flavors of the 706 family, and as you would expect, the MARK IIG was my favorite (because of the additional band). I really like the way it's laid out, the size of the display, etc. but because of the weak noise-blanker, this is one rig that won't hang around my shack much longer. If you've been reading my reviews throughout the years you know at least one thing about me - I'm tough on noise-blankers (if you can't hear 'em, you can't work 'em). It's not as bad as the Alinco DX-70, but not as good as my Yaesu FT-897D or the ICOM IC-751A. Of course, the BEST noise-blanker can be found...in a CB Radio (and why is that?). So I just had to let ya know that I couldn't take the noise anymore.
-
PIPE DREAM AUCTION OF THE MONTH!!
-
Perusing the most recent auctions I came across one titled: "3 VINTAGE WALKIE TALKIES MUST SEE" with a Buy-it-now price of $199.99.
-
Naturally my mind thought of the Midland SSB WT, or some exotic Sony...they just HAD to be rare - at that price....I was wrong.
-
And, the seller will learn their first lesson on selling something like this on EBay.
-
WHO'S YOUR PAL??
-
WHO'S YOUR "BUDDY"?
-
Yes...the picture is pretty crappy, but this is the best the seller could provide (HINT - A quality picture goes a long way). I can hear you thinking to yourself:
-
"Woody, there are better pictures of the "Buddy Base" you could have used"
-
True, if it were the Buddy Base from 11 meter land, but this is a 2m/6m Buddy base, which I never knew existed! You can check out the EBAY auction for yourself (I have a bid in) and if you happen to be a winner, please send me some quality photo's that I can put on my website.
-
-
'NUFF SAID
-

No comments:

Post a Comment