Thursday, August 31, 2006

"BIG BUX"
-
It's been awhile since I pointed out some pricey auctions, and it's obvious that CB collecting is still picking up steam!
-
Here is one that hasn't ended yet (pictured on right) an EFJ 4230 in-the-box! You know folks are going crazy when they bid this rig up into the stratosphere (currently it's at $305.00, high bidder suitable called "EF Johnson Nut").
-
There's nothing wrong with that, only (IMHO) these were the ugliest Johnsons made. This is an AM only rig, and at it's current bid price, it's much more than I paid for a Viking 4740 AM/SSB mobile, also NIB. Let's look at some others...
-
This Tram D62 just fetched $153 which is fairly high considering they didn't know if it transmitted or received, and was an "AS-IS" auction.
-
What bugs me is when the rig isn't even powered "ON" to show a display.
-
Other Auctions:
-
Uniden Grant Old-style, NIB $270
NOS Cobra 142 - $260 (I'd rather have a used 2000)
Tram D64 NIB - $227.50 (A little high, but not bad)
Used A/S Super Scanner Antenna - $325 (ouch)
Used Midland 79-999 - $305
Used after market "Gold" covers for MarkIII/IV $225 (personally I think they make the rigs look cheap when you put 'em on)
HA-150 Lafayette Walkie-Talkies (pair) - $128.50
Demco Super Satelite - $450
Realistic "Mini-Six" mobile - $73
-
All-in-all, not bad for the sellers! But as we all know, it's all a matter of luck: Having the seller place the ad when there are several people wanting it (really bad)at that same moment. I've seen it go the other way too, but that's another story.
-
"UGLY MOBILES"
-
How many of you really care how pristine and beautiful your mobile is?? And if you do - what's the point? When I buy a used radio for the S.O.W. I don't care how scratched up it is, as long as it works like it's supposed to. I know one fellow who has to buy collector quality mobiles for his vehicles, but when he sells them later on, they are far from pristine...so why bother.
-
Some of my best rigs in the car have been beat up, ugly looking things that for sure, no thief would steal, yet they worked just as good as one out-of-the-box. To a certain extent the external signs of age are like signs of character. The worst looking rig I ever owned was an old Icom IC-725. Half of the backlight was out, the ON-OFF button was gone, and it was scratched to hell and back, but it worked like a charm. I think I sold that ugly beast at least 3 times, only to buy it back again when I was in need of a cheap rig. The last time I sold it though, it was on EBAY and it was sent to the great Northwest corner of our country. Sometimes I wonder where it is now, but I figure that it's changed hands several times, is ugly as ever, but still kicking butt on the airwaves...
-

No comments:

Post a Comment