Monday, January 22, 2024

AY CARAMBA: A PART .000001 REVIEW OF THE PRESIDENT GEORGE FCC

 

REVIEW: PRESIDENT GEORGE FCC

[SECTION ONE: PART A]

 

 

 

 

Well, my equipment reviews suddenly began to stack up, one on top of the other, until I took a look at the stack and uttered: "Holy Crap"

I had just nearly finished the final summation of the Alinco DX-10 review, when, this afternoon -  I was double-whammed by the delivery services and received the Radioddity QT-60, President George FCC, the most recent build of Sirio's Precision 2000 mobile antenna, and some other knickknacks, all to be reviewed....[at some point]

So as the radios came in I unboxed them, then powered 'em up (because, as I've mentioned, I like 'em powered on for at least 24 hours before I take a look at them). I don't like to rush my reviews so I figured I'd start with whatever radio hit the door first - in this case, it was the George FCC. So I unplugged the Alinco DX-10, then plugged the George FCC into the harness (power, PL-259, and microphone), then started to flip through the manual (for these old eyes, the .PDF version was much better so I could enlarge it to whatever felt comfortable). 

 

                            WHILE IT MAY LOOK A LOT LARGER, THE ANGLE HAD MUCH TO DO with it's comparison to the Kenwood TS-50.

 

I set it on top of my Kenwood TS-50 (GREAT rig to have, if you've never owned one), so from that angle it appears that it's much larger than the TS-50, but really - it's not.

My first impression was: "Oh great, another glossy looking radio whose looks kill, but in all other aspects it sucks". I say this because the Uniden Grant II and Grant II+ looked very similar, but, really failed in several areas. Thank You President!

 

THE DOORBELL FROM HELL...

 

About this time, the doorbell rang again, and after checking the security cameras and verifying it was Fed Ex, I slowly made my way to the front door to retrieve a mixed bag of packages (some were my, some were Robin's). 

The George FCC, which I purchased from Bell's CB had arrived in the same time period that the DX-10 had, and like the DX-10 (and any other equipment you read about in my reviews, was a straight out purchase, and if there were any "Tuneup/Adjustments" to be made (at a price), as I usually do - I passed. 2 reasons:

  • I'm cheap on extras
  • I like to review a radio that many folks get: the one they can afford, even if it means from the factory to the dealer, to the buyer.

I'm not against 'em, but it tends to get expensive when you (me) have to pay for the tune-up package. And exactly as before, when I made my first purchase from their company (Alinco DX-10), I was treated with respect, my questions answered, and yes, I could have gone elsewhere looking for a better price, but unless I can't get it from them - I'll buy my equipment from Bells CB for the foreseen future, because they'd spoken the truth to me and I respect that.

"I realized that this (the GEORGE FCC) was possibly the best sounding CB I'd ever listened to"



So, my unforeseen problems with the upcoming reviews came to light while I was flipping through the manual to the QT-60.

As I read, I was also listening, and I stopped to check my connections. Once I verified everything was set up correctly I realized that this (the GEORGE FCC) was possibly the best sounding CB I'd ever listened to, and that meant I'd be spending extra time on this review.

So, you've been warned - this is just .1 of the review, which could take awhile to do it justice, and I may squeeze a review of something else in-between; but at this point, I want to take me time and get it right - in the meantime, my ears are Loving It....


73

WOODY




 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment