Thursday, September 07, 2006

"WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE COLOR?"
-
When CB's moved to digital displays in the mid 70's, red LED's were used, and red channel displays became the defacto standard...until recently.
-
Now you can purchase a new rig and it's not always a given that the channel display will be red. You can even purchase a used rig that has had the LED display color changed, so now you have a red, blue, or green choice (or are there others?). Of course, it's not the display that makes the rig, and no matter what LED choice you chose, there won't be any performance increase, or decrease, but having sampled the 3 colors previously mentioned, I got to wondering: "What's your favorite?"
-
Before I tell you mine, I guess I'll have to admit that I don't know how I ever used the click-click-manual selectors from the 23 channel days in the mobile - I know my eyesight was a lot better, but today, I just can't hardly use one of those in the faithful S.O.W. anymore (unless I set it on my preferred channel and counts the clicks when I change the selector).
-
Okay, so for MY eyes, Red has usually worked fine, except for some very bright days, and the Green in something like the Grant LT was nice, but less than acceptable in not even very bright sunlight, but having recently used a second-hand 148 with the blue LED's I guess I'm declaring that one the winner....at least so far. It's bright during any driving condition and almost too bright at night, but I'm not complaining.
-
I know the blue displays from an ICOM IC-751A was tops in the shack (sure do miss that rig), and for my 897D, I prefer the blue tint as well. So I'll end this brief thought with my original question- "What's your favorite color?"
-

No comments:

Post a Comment