Wednesday, November 04, 2009

CAR MFG'S AND THE CB CRAZE
-
Back in the 70's everyone was going CB "CRAZY" - Sears, J.C. Penney's, Kmart and other retailers had their own brand, and not surprisingly, so did automobile manufacturers. For the most part, they would pick a brand and just slap their logo on it, add a hefty profit, then offer it when someone was buying a car: One stop shopping...
-
GM was very simple, and it was easy to see who really was the "Rig Behind the Mask", as the photo below shows. Just by glancing at it you can tell it's and E.F. Johnson 123 in GM name only. Johnson wasn't the only manufacturer they used though as I recall seeing a Pearce-Simpson base with a GM sticker on it as well. If anyone knows of another mfg. that GM used, let me know...



And then there were other companies like Toyota who had their own style but it didn't look like something we'd already seen under another brand. For instance the picture below doesn't ring a bell with me. How about you?


I FORGOT UPDATE
-
I saw a few rigs being sold by the ex and it seems odd, but she's still trading off my original name/rep "CBGAZETTE", and has changed her seller_ID (again) from "collectmenots" to "Shiny_Lover" (guess she bought a Steely Dan), so technically the auctions should read "Formally CBGAZETTE, Formally COLLECTMENOTS (Oh, I forgot, that was a name I picked too), and now I am "FILL IN THE BLANK". We all know that a leopard can't change its spots, so who knows what it will be in another six months eh?
-
73, Woody
-

No comments:

Post a Comment