FRIDAY THE 13th....
It's been awhile since my last post and I've had a variety of subjects to write about, but I thought I'd wait until today (Friday 13th) to do it!
Greed is everywhere and ham radio is not immune. I'm not talking about the few times that I've been lied to face-to-face by someone at a swapmeet about the condition of whatever I was looking into (although that would make a good subject as well), just something that happened locally (and, not to me). A local HAM bought a used FT-60 from someone that (I think) he knows, and I guess he didn't shop around or check prices - he just trusted the person who offered to sell it to him that it was a good deal.
Long story short: He paid about $230 for this used HT, only to find out that it's selling NEW for $185-$190 via outlets like HRO. I don't know if he went back to talk to this fellow about it but this is not the kind of story you want to read about Amateur Radio. There is balance in the world though. Another local HAM had an older (but working) 2 meter rig that had been sitting on a shelf for years. He gave to a young HAM who was just getting into the hobby. That's the way it outta be - 'Nuff Said.
The month of December is right around the corner, and it's hard to believe how fast the days are going by. Look for a major announcement on this Blog sometime next month.....
Robin found this article on the web and I got a kick out of it as well! Click HERE to see the story!
It's been awhile since we've done any movie reviews, so I'm going to just list what was seen since the last review (in no particular order) along with a few short comments!
- "A SEROUS MAN" , was a movie that I would have preferred to see on cable, when nothing else viewable was of interest to me. Robin thought it was okay.
- "MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS", this wasn't a knee-slapping comedy but funny nonetheless! Clooney was great and so were the references to the "FORCE". We both liked this one a lot.
- "COCO BEFORE CHANEL", was a movie Robin had been wanting to see for quite awhile. When it finally reached Houston it only showed at one theater which wasn't as close as some others. We finally gave in when they said it wasn't going to be playing there much longer and went there on a Sunday night. Both Robin and I found this to be a well done, interesting movie. The following day (Monday) it began showing at a theatre only a few miles from here, but better safe that sorry.
- "THE BOX", is a movie from the fellow who brought us "Donnie Darko". We gave it two tubes up!
- "SAW VI". After SAW V we said "No more", but there we were in the movie theatre watching it. We found it better than SAW V, IV, and III. Next year: "SAW VII - 3D".
- "LAW ABIDING CITIZEN" - I liked it a lot (I like revenge movies where things go "BOOM"). Robin thought it was pretty good, but we both suggest you leave your logic at the door.
- "9" - Very well done, and enjoyable
- "ZOMBIELAND" - Funny movie featured Woody Harrelson luring Zombies out by playing his banjo, and a great cameo performance by a well know comedian. It was a blast!!
- "Inglourious Basterds", This one was funny, with a great cast! 2 Tubes UP.
I may have missed a few, but for the most part that catches you up to where we are now.
That's it for now! 73, Woody