Wednesday, October 11, 2006

"YOU'VE GOT TO KNOW WHEN TO HOLD THEM..."
[AND WHEN TO FOLD 'EM]
-
As we all know, the sunspot cycle is almost at it's lowest point. If you peruse the listings on EBAY you'll find quite a few bargains. Why? Well, operators have decided that they can use the money from a sale now for some other hobby, and when the cycle picks up again (one or two years from now) they'll buy another rig.
-
So this gives you a golden opportunity to pick up clean sideband rigs at a bargain price! (The only problem with this is that you have to hang onto whatever you buy and wait-it-out). when the band opens up again, the fellows who dumped their SSB rig for a song will be ready (with a fist full of cash) to get back into the game of DX.

For the buyers, the most harrowing issue is finding space to store them, and having an investment tied up until the next Sun Spot Cycle (not to mention the XYL griping about too many rigs), however, it could work to your advantage if you have some experience in repair and pretty much have an idea what the problem is - after all, you have plenty of time to do the repair, and if the rig was purchased as "Damaged", you even got a better price!!
-
These next few months may be a bonanza when you factor in the lack of sunspots along with the approaching holiday season - because you and I know that most radio operators think alike and the first thing to go is the rig, when there is a shortage of CA$H and it's sitting in a corner, just collecting dust......
-
"THE MAILBAG"
Belton was last weekend and I received a brief email from my buddy the "Friz". He said the weather was great and a good time was had by all!!
-
He also enclosed a photo (I think so I would drool and regret not being able to attend).
So...sorry Friz, Val, Steve, and any other person I can't remember at the moment, I'll try the Spring Belton. There are a few tailgate fests in the immediate area this month and I plan on getting to at least ONE of them.
-
Tony Catalano emailed a picture of a Hallicrafters CB-181, 2-channel, 2 watt walkie-talkie! Here's a snippet from his email:
-
"I also have a 2 watt 2 channel Hallicrafter CB Walkie-Talkie with leather case in fantastic shape. I can't find which Cd I put the pix on: will retake photos. It is Model #CB-181 I hope you can use these. Let me know if you want the WT pictures".
-
73s from "TRON" Tony in NYC
Keep on Truckin' !!!
-
Hi Tony, and thanks for the great picture of the walkie-talkie -
Regards,
Woody
-
Fred sent me some pix of a Cobra 3GTL walkie-talkie. You don't see many of these around and I'd like to say "Thanks" to him for taking the time to do it......so "Thanks Fred".
-
NIVIO emailed a picture of G.E. Walkie-Talkie, Model number 3-5979. I'm beginning to think that I'm going to update my walkie-talkie database with so many photos coming in.
-
So thanks Nivio! I always appreciate readers who either write me or send a photo of some sort of equipment....
-
Woody
-
-
-
-
ARF UPDATE
-
A feeding frenzy has jumped the price of that ARF-2001 mentioned a couple posts down, and currently the price is over $700, which I find incredible considering the mediocre physical/cosmetic condition [I'd rate it only 4.5 on a scale of one to ten for cosmetics]. Someone must have tossed some ARF "CHUM" into the water to cause such a fervor, because I wouldn't even consider half that price if I were bidding - but, "To each his own", and by the way, while the ARF-2001 is somewhat scarce, I'd have to pick the TRAM "CORSAIR" as the rarest of rare rigs [so rare I don't even have a picture of one up on my website.......]
-
Okay, I've wasted enough of your time with this latest posting, so for now -
'NUFF SAID
-

No comments:

Post a Comment