Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Divorce, women, and attorney's"

-


Man, I guess the-soon-2-be-ex listens to her attorney with glazed eyes. In the beginning things that they listed as $20,000 are now $2,000. Antique furniture paid hundreds for, $50-$100. I'm not sure what kind of strategy this is, but if I had to name it, it would be the "Backwards Principle". But (ed.- "fingers crossed" 'Nuff Said) Feb. 10th is THE day.

-

I peeked into Ebay recently, but nothing exciting. I did pick up quite a few photography books, as I'm not expecting to get the ones I had (pre-marriage) back (along with some photo gear). I guess because digital camera's are all the rage, older photo books are selling dirt cheap (like 49 cents for a lot of books). What they fail to realize is that what applied 20 or 30 years ago, still applies today even if it is digital. Dummies. Ask a digiphite what "Depth of Field" is, or "F-Stops" and you'll see what I mean.

-

Much of my days of collecting are over now......after building a nice collection over a 15 year period, it seems pointless to start over again. Robin, has managed to get me out of the packrat style of life I was leading, and she truly is marvelous, so thanks Robin, you've made me a better person,and I hope I've been able to add something to you as well! By instinct, I still come home and flip on the HF rig, but usually nothing is happening, or when the Lumina was working (may it rest in peace) I'd hear some DX, but by the time I got home - nada.
-
EBay is a great example of the recession, shipping prices are still high (weird, 'cause gas is a lot less) but the final sale price is not what it used to be because I've seen some rigs go for a lot (LOT) less than 2 or 3 years before. Sometimes it's kinda funny in an amusing sort of way. I bid .49 cents for something (thar goes the memory lads), and was quite surprised to find out that I won it. So I paid my .49 cents and about $7 to ship it. If you were wealthy, and had plenty of storage (climate controlled) and waited it out, maybe prices would increase....but then, I lost my ass when the Tech Bubble burst 9 years ago. Nothing like seeing a .0000001 per share price eh? It was a good lesson and I've stayed away from playing around with stocks ever since.
-
Back to EBay. This is a great place to find something you've been looking for, or just remembered the item and found it after a quick search. EBay is for buyers. Selling is another matter. There are fee's for listing, fee's to have your ad in bold, and on, and on. If you should sell the item, they take a percentage of that too.....and most of us buyers use Paypal (which just happens to be owned by EBay) and the seller is whacked for another 4%. I don't know how sellers make money, much less break-even, but if you have the hots for a new rig and want to sell yours pronto, there is no larger audience to be found. I heard on NPR yesterday that EBay posted a loss, and I'm not surprised, but I fear the amount of companies posting losses will become many, increasing every quarter until we're out of this mess.
-
And that's my jot for the day (actually I started it last night around 11pm while I was at work doing a restore of a folder on a server. Hope yer weekend goes well, and yep, I'll be around!
-
73
-
-

No comments:

Post a Comment