Monday, February 20, 2006

THE ANTENNA'S OF MY YOUTH
[PART TWO]
-
So the Long John was long gone now, and I was back using my trusty Super Magnum, but I was still interested in getting a beam antenna, and this time I wanted it up on the top of the
roof of the house. My choice: The Mosley 3-element Mini-Beam.
As you can see, it was a trade of sorts: The only beam I could put on my roof was a small beam, and the Mosley 3-element fit my requirements. The elements were much shorter than the standard beam because of the loading coiled (as seen in the picture).
-
I skipped the rotor and manually turned it by sticking my arm out the window in my shack, unscrewing a bolt and...well....just turned it in the direction I wanted it to point to!
-
Sad to say, I never got it to perform well (in fact my Super Magnum did better most of the time), so I sold it to a local and considering my Super Mag had been doing it's job for awhile, purchased an Avanti Astro-Plane, which was my last antenna that I owned before leaving New England. I really enjoyed the Astroplane, and later (in Texas) the "Astro Beam" (but that's another story).
-
____________________________
-
OF SAD NOTE
Curt Gowdy, voice of the Red Sox, voice of the American Sportsman, etc. has passed away. As a youth, I believe it was his friendly manner when broadcasting or narrating that really made me a fan, and I don't believe he'll ever be replaced.
-
'Nuff Said

No comments:

Post a Comment