Sunday, February 12, 2006

THE MANLY-MAN HT
-
-
While the HT market is devoted to smaller, and smaller HT's (trying to lure the younger cellphone segment into the hobby), it's time for older guys (or, younger guys with big fingers) to stand up for our rights and demand a "Manly-Man" HT - Hell, it could even be called the "Manly-Man HT" - with wide open spaces between the keys, a real BNC connector for the antenna, with an optional telescoping antenna and of course, and the main requirement - BIG and HEAVY.
-
I remember when I got my first HT in the 80's and stuck it on my belt and it dragged my pants down below butt crack level while people stared at me in Shock'n Awe, I'd look 'em in the eyes and give 'em a nod and wink because I was a mobile ham!!
-
It took awhile to get used to those big and heavy HT's....I'd get dressed in the morning and tighten my belt up near my chest, then attach the Manly-Man HT (knowing my belt would be waist level in a few hours) but filled with the knowledge that the heavier it was...the better it was. I was a field tech in Houston at the time, and as I was walking down the sidewalk, pulling my tool cart behind me, occasionally I'd run across another Ham wearing his Manyly-Man HT. We'd do the usual Sergio Leone thing (eyeball staring with occasional glances at the other guys HT), circle each other (tripping several pedestrians in the process with our tool carts) and then slowly back off - always ending with a polite nod to the other fellow.
-
Manly-Man HT's were tough too - I dropped mine plenty of times and the only thing that broke were various toes...the HT kept on working though.... I went HT shopping not too long ago and when they handed me the latest model I felt like Will Smith in the movie "Men in Black" when he's handed a tiny, tiny weapon -
"THIS is an HT??" I exclaimed. The man behind the counter (about my age) looked downward in shame as he nodded his head, for he too longed for the day of the Manly-Man HT.
-
So I as sit here, typing my plea to manufacturers, I am perfectly happy with my new purchase (IC-207, with belt clip and gel-cell pack with belt clip), but I'll be waiting....because someday the Manly-Man HT will make a comeback!!
-