Saturday, February 07, 2009

"DAY TWO...."
-
Well, I'm into day two of unemployment, and must say it's a lot worse than yesterday (guess I was just "numb") and so the fear factor sets in, the reality of getting a job at my age, at an equal (or close to salary). Not to mention not having a phone and having to rely on e-mails or IM to contact people.
-
The place I worked at was great as far as benefits go, and I'll miss those, and perhaps a few people there too; Hey, it was great only living about 5 miles from work. As you know, I've been through a ton of medical tests to find out reasons why things weren't working and without those benefits, it would have been hard to do. The irony of it all is that they had found most of the stuff wrong with me and taking the appropriate medications and the ton of certain vitamins, I was actually feeling more like my old self in the recent months.
-
You never realize how much crap you have to change when something like this occurs, and I've been working on changing addresses, etc. Unfortunately, it'll be tough paying for this place w/o a job, but all I can do is believe that things will workout. On a brighter note, for all of those "I wish I had the time to complete this" items, can be done, once I'm outta this funk.
-
Resumes. This will take quite a bit of thought as the last resume I had was from around 1991 and if it still exists, it's currently in someone Else's possession. I'll work on it amongst other things, but still the first item on the list is the Divorce on Tuesday. Once this long/extended ordeal is over, I can breathe a sigh of relief and that'll clear up a big spot in the brain so I can work on other things. The worst part is, after working there since 1997, I've come to consider some of the end users as friends, and hope that their future projects will still go as planned, in my absence.
-
CB or HAM radio stuff is temporarily off limits and I'll probably have to sell a few items to meet next months rent. Don't get me wrong - I'm not writing this for self-pity, but for the other 598,000 jobless folks in the US as of January (maybe that makes me the 598,001 jobless person eh?). There's no way I can afford to fix the Lumina, so I have time to clean it out and perhaps donate it, depending on the divorce finalization. It was a good radio car, but with some grounding issues I could never resolve. The only thing that worked well was my VHF/UHF rig (that was until something electrical blew it out), and I never had great HF performance, but it was halfway decent performance.
-
In the meantime, I have plenty of things to change (regarding shipping addresses, phone numbers, etc.) and it sure would be nice to have a little DX to perk up 'ol Woody, but the sunspot numbers just aren't there. So someone send me an email about this D-Star I've been hearing about. I'd like to read something from an everyday ham vs. Manufacturer propaganda. As well, is there anything that excites you on the radio market? (ed. - yeah, I still haven't taken that AES catalog out of the plastic).
=
It's a shame I had to get rid of the TS-850 (my favorite recent rig) and it would be nice for the manufacturers to drop prices due to the economic situation the world is going through. I was listening to NPR and they were saying the un-employed level is equal to or worse than 1974 (coincidentally the same day my services were no longer required.) If it weren't for the rebuilding of an old PC I wouldn't be typing this now, and it doesn't really require much oompf; this Pentium one is doing just fine only I have to return the monitor to the former job, which I'll do sometime next week. With the price of LCD's spiralling downward, I should be able to pick up a fairly good deal.
-
So, until I find some employment, I'll probably have time to drop daily posts (day2, 3, 4, etc.). Hope ya have some DX in your area!! Mine is dead -
-
73
-
-

No comments:

Post a Comment