Saturday, October 08, 2005

LET THERE BE LIGHT.....
(and make it reliable)
Much to my surprise, I picked up a used Uniden Grant LT. Surprised because I thought that I'd never buy one because I don't care for radio equipment made in China (nothing against the people of China, it's just that their quality control S-U-C-K-S). But the price was right (cheap) and thus came surprise No.2 - it wasn't made in China, but in the Philippines!
---
Other than the layout of the knobs (I prefer the clarifier closer to the left side of the front panel for easy access while driving), I found this version of the Grant quite likable, and yes, I'm looking for reasons to drive at night just so I can see things better with the illuminated panel!
---
Dave Hall wrote me about the E.F. Johnson 351 and how it looked a lot like the SBE Sidebander II, something I'd noticed as well, and I'd still like to get the story on that model - Did they slap an EFJ tag on an SBE box as a stop gap until the 352 came out? And why did they (EFJ) make their SSB rigs (352, 4740) so hard to open up the damn clarifier??
'Nuff Said for Saturday!