Friday, May 07, 2010



SOMETIMES SOME THINGS "STICK"

-
As a parent you hope that some of the things you try to teach your children stick with them as they become adults. But kids are pretty intuitive and observant without any coaching. On a recent lengthy drive from Houston to Dallas I was very happy to find out that my son Chris had been observing me for many years as he accompanied me to our twice-a-year Belton Texas Hamfest trip (and I suppose any other time we were on the road and I was on the 2-way).
-
For our Dallas trip I had my Cobra 138xlr in "Moby", while we installed my E.F.Johnson 4740 in his truck. At one point, during a conversation with him I used some language which a non-radio person would be puzzled about and was just about to explain what that meant when Chris came back with correct reply.
-
"Wow, that was cool Chris", I exclaimed, "I wasn't sure you knew what that meant"
[Robin took a picture while I was talking to Chris]
-
Chris keyed his microphone and replied: "All those years of riding to Belton sunk in Dad". And that made my day. His first time using a radio, and without any coaching or cheat sheets and he sounded like a seasoned veteran. With one hand on the steering wheel, and the other gripping the microphone, Robin reached over and wiped a tear that formed in one eye. Yes, today one of my Son's had become a radio operator!

-
73
-

No comments:

Post a Comment