Tuesday, August 11, 2009


The Ebay-Blacklist Experiment: Or, "The Pettiness Postulate"




No Sheldon, this doesn't concern you!

Several people have contacted me regarding my "Ebay blacklisting" post. Their comments vary, but they all want to know the same thing: "Woody, how does your ex know who may or may not know you when it comes to these auctions? Does she have some sort of screening process? And why would she care who buys your stuff anyway?"

Well friends, I don't have the answers to all those questions, but it sure got me thinking. I can only assume that this person must think that I'm covertly recruiting my friends to buy stuff for me, since she apparently thinks I shouldn't be able to purchase (for the 2nd time) anything that I formerly owned (yes, sounds bizarre to me too). Now why she feels that way, I shudder to think. You'd think she could get some sort of perverse satisfaction from seeing me buy my own stuff from her, but I guess she thinks its even better to keep me from doing so, even when I'm not.

The way I see it, money is money. And whenever I've sold things on Ebay, that was my only screening process. Does the buyer pay and keep their end of the bargain? But, I guess if a seller chooses to put their emotional issues or petty grudges above profit, Ebay accomodates them. As for how my ex knows who may be "conspiring with me", I couldn't say. Is it as simple as whether she recognizes a name, or does she actually try to "screen" the buyers? Other than the few individuals who were known to her, I don't see how she could have a list of everyone in CB/radio that I've corresponded with over the years. In theory, it could be anyone.

Which brings me to the experiment I refer to. Up until now, I haven't tried to purchase anything from my collection via third parties. Being presently unemployed, I don't have cash to spare. Besides, who needs that hassle? If I found it once, I could find it again if I wanted to. Also, even though I will always love radio and CB, I now have new priorities in my life. Funny how the right person can change those things. But anyway, I too am curious how deep the Ebay-buyer-background-checking goes?

So, if anyone out there (whether we've corresponded in the past or not) would like to help me find out, feel free to contact me via email. You could be part of some groundbreaking research! Together we shall discover just how ridiculous an Ebay seller can get when it comes to choosing (and blacklisting) their buyers. I think that regardless of the outcome, the data we collect will be invaluable for future generations.


And just to give you an idea of the sellers "Thought Process", please take a look at her reply to the VALID, negative feedback she received:





It's a sad thing to see, and especially when it affects my friends and aquaintences, so let's try this experiment. Maybe we'll find out who "da Boss" REALLY is?

Woody


(The ONLY person known as the CB Gazette)



No comments:

Post a Comment