Wednesday, August 26, 2009



RARE




RARE


It's that time of year again to talk about what is a "RARE" CB and what isn't. If you look on Ebay, it seems as if 50% of the radios up for auction are rare, but in truth, aren't. So I'm going to let you know what I think is a rare rig. No, it's not a STONER, ARF, CPI, or some no-name brand mobile. My pick for THE rarest CB transceiver is the TRAM "CORSAIR". This is one of those rigs I always wanted to own back-in-the-day, but couldn't afford and if one comes up for sale within a two or three year period it's a surprise. Odds are it'll look like crap and undoubtedly not work as well. There have to be some out there, but whoever has one, they're holding onto it and I don't blame them. My rule of thumb is if you see the same radio more than twice in one year on Ebay - it's just not that rare.
-
THE OTHER KIND OF RARE
-
The other kind of rare rig is one that isn't all that old, and you see them from time-to-time on Ebay but they're ugly as hell and are "Tech Specials". Radio Shacks TRC-480 falls into this category. I don't know if there were technical issues with the rig or what, you just don't find one that works. If I'm not mistaken (and I could be), this has the same circuitry as the TRC-459 Base Station. They came out at the same time and have almost identical features. The 459 though is fairly common to find, in decent cosmetic shape, and - working. It is a pretty cool looking radio but you can't change the channel via a knob, it's either push the "UP" or "Down" buttons on the rig itself, or on the microphone.






So there's my explanation of two kinds of "RARE". What's your favorite RARE transceiver??

WOODY

No comments:

Post a Comment