Friday, June 19, 2009



"TWO NOTEWORTHY TRANSCEIVERS....."










"COBRA 138XLR 40ch. AM/SSB MOBILE"


There are many of us that just won't buy "used", especially if it's 20-30 years old, and in some cases they're right. I'm not writing about those, but rather a couple of old-time favorites that are like the Energizer Bunny and keep going-and-going. There are many older rigs that I'd buy over a new one (or in some situations, there isn't a newer model), but I randomly picked out these two, and I'm pretty sure at least one will be a favorite of yours as well.


To the left is a picture of the Cobra 138XLR, which, if only given a glimpse, would probably be mistaken for the 148 and several others. This transceiver is a product of the 70's - one of the first 40 channel AM/SSB mobiles to come out, and had features that aren't too common today.

Besides being highly modifiable, the 138xlr had controls for: Dynamike; Volume; Squelch; RF Gain; Mode switch; "Voice Lock"; Noise Blanker; Tone; and a Dimmer control for the LED display. The microphone jack is a 4-pin jack and it's side mounted. This transceiver has almost any feature you would want (ed.- except for a "mute" button that makes the XYL silent Hi-Hi), plus, it's a rig that just won't die because it's built so damn well. 4 outta 5 stars.



"KENWOOD TM-255A 2-METER ALL-MODE MOBILE"


When it comes to Kenwood 2-meter all-mode transceivers, most of us think of the TR-751 which had a long run before being discontinued. After the 751, older rigs like the 9000 come to mind, but very rarely do HAMS pull the TM-255A out of there memories. Perhaps this is because it only had a limited run and is rather rare, but this rig is the finest all-mode I've ever run across!!

I owned one of these about 15 years ago and it was FANTASTIC. I made many wonderful QSO's with this rig and had many great contacts in SSB. As you can see by the picture this transceiver is well made, but expensive. Because they weren't around much (and very expensive) they are hard to find, but well worth it. On Ebay, they are very scarce and pricey, but one day I will find one and purchase it, because it's worth every penny!! 5 outta 5 stars


Fathers Day is just a few days away, so I hope you get something you really want (ed.- see previous post) and may the DX be roaring!


73





WOODY



"STANDARD DISCLAIMER"This is my standard disclaimer regarding the selling of my radio collection. While the ad reads CB GAZETTE, it has nothing to do with me, and the while the "WE are selling" implies I'm on board with it, I'm not. She has the legal right to sell my stuff, however I am not involved and any complaints should not be directed to me, or, damage my honest reputation in the selling of radios. I'm not upset by the legal selling, just the inference that I am involved. End of Disclaimer.

No comments:

Post a Comment