Wednesday, October 21, 2009



MORE WINDOWS 7...


Where John Dvorak gets his catch phrases are beyond me, but they are quite hilarious! In a recent (very recent) article about Win7, he calls it - "A Vista Martini". In running it here at home to play around with it just before release, I felt like I was not quite out of the gravitational pull of "Planet VISTA" (ed. - Hmmm, maybe the double features in the movie "Grindhouse" should have been "Planet Terror" followed by "Planet Vista"? 'Nuff Said). But even if I was making the big $$$ I could think of a few things better to do with $120, than upgrade to Win7. Sure, if a company has bought a lot of computers in the last couple months, they'll get a free pass to the land of Win7, while I'm sure that some IT departments are probably licking their chops, drooling at the prospect of upsetting an end-users life-at-work, and for what? Proving their worth? Poking sticks at a content bear? Where I worked there were two offices, the good one and the bad one. The good one (where I worked) had to go with whatever the bad one wanted to do (of course there was always the usual percentage of "Penis envy" in our office when it came to the newness of the hardware/software that someone in the next office had, but, I digress...) They were more "Sales/Accounting", while the good office was mostly lab/research. A vast difference in what software could be run on what OS. Usually, they never even tested the lab software, but hopefully things have changed (Reporting to NR now are we? Enjoy...).



When Microsoft comes out with a new release of a software (IMHO), it seems to me that they feel like they should change enough around to where you have to HUNT to find the place you used to be able to go to, or function you used to be able to do (i.e.- Office 2007, Vista) in only one or two clicks. Businesses, and home users alike don't like this sort of "change". After spending 3-5 years learning all the nuances and features of a given product, they can fly through anything they have to do as if the product is transparent. However, (especially in a business) when things get moved or hidden to where you're running to help menus or your in-house IT guy more than you'd like to, users get frustrated, production in the business drops. Should people stay in the dark ages? No. But then I don't feel like XP or Office 2003 are from that period - they feel "comfortable" and do what I have to do at the moment, not what Microsoft wants me to do now ("Jump End User, Jump"). As for me? I still prefer "Wordperfect"....Read what he has to say if interested.

73, Woody




No comments:

Post a Comment